Welcome



19 October 2005

My Element


It felt almost like I was in a dream. The familiar bell of the airport public address system at the departure lounge seemed to announce my arrival. There was the usual hustle and bustle of people activity at the airport but not even that could take me out of the serene state I was in. It has been 3 years since my last trip out of the country and this day is the day I am in my element once again.

The wait at the airport was a time to let all the memories of my 12 years of traveling come back. For a brief moment I was transported back in time and could feel the same emotions when I would wait for countless hours at airports: reading, praying, people-watching and waiting for the familiar boarding call. I could write a book about my experiences at airports alone!

Even the walk to the aircraft seemed like going through a tunnel filled with memories. I could almost see myself again; traveling alone with strangers and quietly falling in line to board the aircraft that would take each and every one of us to our destinations and new experiences.

Once in the aircraft, the smell of a clean cabin, with the mixture of sanitized air and brewing coffee welcomed me. I was almost expecting to see familiar faces of cabin crew whom I have recruited when I was working for the airline, but since it was a different carrier, I only saw smiles from unfamiliar faces. But it was good enough to keep my spirits high.

As I settled in my seat, it felt like a friend’s embrace of welcome. The soft seat cushion, the soft hissing of the air from the air-conditioning unit, the sound of overhead compartments being opened and closed, seat belts being buckled, the view of the aircraft wing from the window. They were all so familiar to me it was almost overwhelming. I missed all of it and being able to experience them once again was wonderful.

As the aircraft started to taxi in the runway, I knew this was what I had missed during those years: to travel. My emotions grew as the aircraft engines roared to build its thrust for take-off. I was sad and happy at the same time. Sad knowing that I could not travel as often as I liked and did before, but happy that I am able to make it happen this time after a 3-year hiatus.

By the time the aircraft lifted to the clouds and its landing gear retracts, a few tears had escaped my eyes. I knew I was back in my element and it felt like home.

1 comment:

Yang said...

Wow! grabe sa emotions! I can really, really feel it!